This substance is a clear, colorless liquid. It is oily and somewhat viscous. Sulfuric acid is odorless unless heated. At high temperatures, it can produce a strong, acrid smell. It is also tasteless, although ingestion can be harmful. This acid is highly corrosive to most metals and tissues. The primary application of sulfuric acid is making fertilizer. About 60% of the world's supply is created for this purpose. The acid is utilized to treat phosphate rock to produce phosphoric acid, which is an essential ingredient for fertilizer. This chemical can also be found in a wide array of other industries, including the production of dyes, resins, detergents, paints, lubricants, and batteries. Safety gear must be worn at all times when handling this substance. It can cause severe chemical burns on the skin and may result in blindness if exposed directly to the eye. Inhalation or ingestion can be fatal, so a breathing mask must also be worn. This substance is not flammable.